smtp messages into Logalot

As of January 2012, Logalot is now part of Scrutinizer v9. Your Logalot license is now a Scrutinizer license. Contact support with questions.

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

ihingos

smtp messages into Logalot

Post by ihingos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

I have a couple of devices that can send information via smtp. I've tried putting the logalot server in as the destination for those messages. The smtp daemon is running on the logalot server. However none of the messages seem to be making it in to logalot. Do they need to bounce off another mail server first? or have an account setup?

tomp
Site Admin

Re: smtp messages into Logalot

Post by tomp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Logalot's SMTP Daemon is just a passive SMTP service. It will accept any mail sent to port 25. As messages come in, they will probably end up in the orphan table, unless they are matching criteria of your existing non-eventlog policies.

You can run the SMTP daemon manually from the command prompt to see if messages are coming in. To do this, stop the service, navigate to \SOE\cgi-bin\ and run smtpd.exe

Now send your test....

If you don't see any results, your test never made it to the server.

You can either create a second MX record and send all mail, or you can forward specific messages to another mail server using your mail server software.

How are you currently configured to send mail to your logalot server?

- Tom

ihingos

Post by ihingos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Currently we're not sending mail to it. I noticed on a printer that the email alerts carry more information then snmp and that started the thought process. We currently have a bunch of things that send us emails. They are configured to send mail to our exchange sever which then sends it to us. Rather have them all send to Logalot if it's possible.

tomp
Site Admin

Post by tomp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 am

You should be able to send it along to the Logalot server. If you have any problems doing so, just let me know.