Logalot and NT Server 4.0/WMI

As of January 2012, Logalot is now part of Scrutinizer v9. Your Logalot license is now a Scrutinizer license. Contact support with questions.

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

skumpf

Logalot and NT Server 4.0/WMI

Post by skumpf » Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 am

Greetings,

I am working on the initial configuration of Event Log monitoring. I would like to cofigure my servers in Logalot using the Domain option to discover my servers. However, my Domain Controllers are running NT 4.0 Server. My understanding is that WMI core is required to be installed on the Domain Controllers to perform this option. Is this a true statement? Also, is WMI required to be able to pull the Event log from these Domain Controllers as well?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Scott Kumpf
Eclipsys Corp.

mkrygeri

NT 4.0 WMI

Post by mkrygeri » Thu May 17, 2007 10:47 am

Logalot uses WMI to gather the listing of log files on each server, so it is needed on each of the servers in order to successfully setup monitoring.
WMI is not used in the actual collection of logs. WMI is also not used to get the list of servers on the Domain/AD. It used a function similar to the "net view /DOMAIN:MYDOMAINNAME"

So, in theory, if you have an NT 4 Domain controller without WMI, you can use it to get a listing of machines, you just won't be able to monitor the logs on the DC itself,

HTH
Mike