Mapping WAN from one interface

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

justinmeryment

Mapping WAN from one interface

Post by justinmeryment » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 am

Hi Guys,

Currently evaluating scrutinizer for our environment.

We run a WAN which contains a mix of DSL and SHDSL connections, as such we can only monitor netflow connections from the datacenter.

Luckily our ISP presents the WAN to a single ethernet connection so this is what we monitor.

This works for general flow reports where I can filter on each WAN site's subnet with IP Groups, but I can't seem to figure out a way to setup the mapping features without a device at each WAN site.

Am I trying to achieve the impossible, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Justin.

seanh

Re: Mapping WAN from one interface

Post by seanh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

Hello Justin,

Yes this is possible. We can create map links to objects using saved reports. You can use those saved reports you already have for the WAN subnets or build specific saved reports for the maps; ideally the last 5 minutes.

If you go to the map where you are building this, right click on the map, and go to "Add Object". On the right side of this popup will be button that says "New Object". Please click that. Here you will be able to create an object for each subnet you are looking to monitor. Press “save” after you have updated the label and icon.

From here we will want to go to the connections tab on this same windows (left side). Here we will want to "Connect with Scrutinizer Report" on the right side below the question mark. You can add the "from" device as the WAN Device and the To device as your created object.

On the "Report" Dropdown, please select the saved report that goes to this object and press connect. It should refresh the connections below with what you created. You can view updated map by pressing "View Map".

Please let me know if you have any questions or I can have one the pre-sales support engineers work with you on a gotomeeting.

Thanks
Sean

justinmeryment

Post by justinmeryment » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for that, I've now got my map connected, but the "links" are showing as "0.00 B"

Clicking on the "link" line takes me to a report of the last 5 minutes which has netflow data in it.

http://1drv.ms/MvAOOZ

That is what the map is currently looking like and hasn't change since I set it up a few hours ago.

Thanks again.

Justin.

seanh

Post by seanh » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 am

Hello Justin,

Which version of Scrutinizer are you currently evaluation? If you click on the diamond on the upper right, it should tell you the rev.

Thanks,

Sean

justinmeryment

Post by justinmeryment » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am

Currently running 11.5.1 (11.5.1.33535)