Top Interfaces Report

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

yoshikawa

Top Interfaces Report

Post by yoshikawa » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 am

I'm trying to setup a top interfaces report to email daily and report on the hours of 8am-9pm M-F. I have setup a daily email report based on the top 25 by utilization percentage. That report, however, is only emailing based on the last 5 minutes prior to the email and not the daily usage. I cannot find a way to adjust the report to include the times I'm looking for. The end goal would be to have a daily report of the sites that are averaging high utilization throughout the day to monitor for needed increases in bandwidth.

seanh

Re: Top Interfaces Report

Post by seanh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:30 am

Hello Yoshikawa,

There are a couple of steps that I will go over to accomplish what you are looking for.
1) Go to Admin > Settings > System Preferences: and turn on "Allow all device reports"
2) Also, while here, change the business hours to 8am to 9pm.
3) Save these two "settings" changes
4) Go to Status > Device Explorer > All device reports > interfaces
5) Change the time frame of your report to business hours yesterday and save the report
6) Schedule the report to be emailed the morning after the previous day.

I added you to the Feature Request ticket for having reports run Monday to Friday.
This will run 7 days a week currently.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sean

yoshikawa

Post by yoshikawa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:57 am

Sean -

Very helpful in adding in the "Allow all device reports" and changing the business hours. I did not see "All device reports" as available on the Status>Device Explorer. Is that part of the Advanced Reporting add on? I was able to pull a report using All Device Trends>Interfaces, but it's just giving me a break down of who used the most bandwidth out of all locations. That data can be partially useful, but the top interfaces will continue to be skewed to the larger sites with larger data circuits. I was looking for a report similar to the default Top Interfaces report which gives me a top interface based on utilization of available bandwidth at each location. Thanks for any direction you can give.

seanh

Post by seanh » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Hello Yoshikawa,

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a last "x" timeframee report, all devices, showing the peak utilization, listed like: Views "All Devices" or like the status tab.

You are looking for the data in this graph below (showing peaks) but globally if I am correct.
https://i.imgur.com/048TOcG.png

To run this above report, go to any device -> reports -> choose a template -> Volume Reports -> Traffic Volume.

Thanks
Sean

yoshikawa

Post by yoshikawa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:25 pm

I was looking for a way to pull a daily view of this information:

http://i.imgur.com/iAWF92K.png

I find this information in Status>Views>Top Interfaces.

It's be useful to see the ebb and flow of the highest utilization throughout business hours as it pertains to each circuit. I can run these reports individually, but I'm trying to view 150+ locations. Rather than manually look through the data, I'd rather have the top 10 or 25 pushed in a daily report. This would be for capacity planning so I can verify which sites may need additional bandwidth as they are constantly hitting high thresholds of utilization.

As of now, that report is only good for the previous 5 minutes of polling. Which is good to quickly look and find if there is currently over utilization for troubleshooting, but doesn't help with overall trends.

Thanks.

seanh

Post by seanh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 am

Hello Yoshikawa,

I created a feature request with development for specifically what you are looking for. At this time there is no timeline or milestone for implementation. I can update you if there are any changes.

Thanks,
Sean