average / total / peak bandwidth?

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

Hashemite2

average / total / peak bandwidth?

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:39 am

When I look at a graph, I see a time period with peaks and underneath the graph a list of hosts ordered by traffic volume
The peaks exceed the bandwidth available on the interface, that's a different issue
The bandwidth figure given per host - is this is the total bandwidth used in the period, the peak bandwidth or the average bandwidth?
To be honest, I'd like to see all of these on the chart per host if that is possible, but it would be nice to know which it is now!

ryans

Re: average / total / peak bandwidth?

Post by ryans » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:58 am

Hello Hashemite2,

Let me try to answer all your questions.

The peaks exceed the bandwidth available on the interface, that's a different issue

This could be an issue with the configuration on the device sending the flow data. If you where to forget to set the 'active flow timeout' to 60 seconds, you could get large spikes in traffic, exceeding the available bandwidth of the link. What type of device are you using? Could you show us the config you are using?

The bandwidth figure given per host - is this is the total bandwidth used in the period, the peak bandwidth or the average bandwidth?

This value depends on a setting you have in one of the drop down menus above the graph. There is a selection you can make to switch the output of the table from rate to total. Above the graph, look for a menu that either says 'rate' or 'total'. This will tell you.

To be honest, I'd like to see all of these on the chart per host if that is possible, but it would be nice to know which it is now!

This is not a feature in the product as of now. It seem like a good option and i will put in a feature request for it.

Thank you,
RYan

Hashemite2

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

Hi Ryan
I have no access to this particular device I'm afraid, it is a third party managed router, but it sounds plausible.
This is a 15Mb line, when I select "bits" rather than per cent, and select total, set the time period to 1 hour I get a total traffic of 27.3 Gb - unlikely, I think! I wonder if this is tied in with the same flow timeout setting?
Thanks for the feature suggestion, it's one of the things I get asked for regularly, and my calculator finger is getting worn out...
Gareth

ryans

Post by ryans » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:17 am

I believe we should be able to get up to a total of 54Gb in a one hour period. So 27Gb total is not out of the question.

15Mb x 60 seconds = 900Mb
900Mb x 60 minutes = 54000MB

In the report, if you are looking at total its the total traffic added together in the timeframe. What do you see for an average rate if you change from 'total' to 'rate'?

Hashemite2

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:25 am

Rate gives 6.044 Mb/s on the bottom line
Gareth

Hashemite2

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 am

So to clarify, if I use "rate" for a 1 hour period, that gives me average bandwidth for that client for that period?

ryans

Post by ryans » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:32 am

Yes, next to each conversation, each line in the table, gives you the average rate of that conversation in the time frame. At the bottom of the table, that shows that total rate of all the conversations add together in the time frame. In this case, one hour.

Hashemite2

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 am

That's very helpful Ryan, thanks!
Gareth