Change IP address of Windows Scrutinizer, or add another NIC

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

Hashemite2

Change IP address of Windows Scrutinizer, or add another NIC

Post by Hashemite2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:44 am

I've been evaluating Scrutinizer as a replacement for my old Fluke product, using a spare IP for the server and a new client's router and some Cisco firewalls
Very impressed, we will be buying it at the end of the month.
I would like (if possible) to retain the "test" IP so we can continue to get data from the devices we are currently monitoring, but also have a pain free migration from the old server.
Is it possible to add another NIC to the VM server (Windows 2012 R2), with the same IP as the old server, so the service listens on both IP addresses?
thanks
Gareth

chrisr

Re: Change IP address of Windows Scrutinizer, or add another NIC

Post by chrisr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello Hashemite,

You can't use two NICs because licensing is tied to the MAC ID of a single NIC. We recommend that you install the same version of Scrutinizer that you have on your eval server on the new server. Make a backup copy of the data on the old server, copy it to the new server, then change the IP of the new server to match the old IP that devices are sending flows to. Then upgrade the new server to current, if it isn't already.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hashemite2

Post by Hashemite2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Or I could just change the IP of the current server?

chrisr

Post by chrisr » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:07 am

Yes, but if I understand you correctly, you'll need to change the IP your devices are sending to if you want the current server to receive flows.

- Chris