Interface/Instance names

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

dbarnes69

Interface/Instance names

Post by dbarnes69 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:15 pm

I have a router I am setting up in Scrutinizer. At this time, due to the network set up, I cannot get the SNMP info. Without getting the SNMP info for the interfaces, in Scrutinizer I have like Instance 0, Instance 11, Instance 12, Instance 14, etc, etc. How can find out what those instance names actually refer to (what is the true identity, ie GigEth0/1.1 etc) without using SNMP? I can do a snmpwalk from INSIDE their network if that can help at all.

ryans

Re: Interface/Instance names

Post by ryans » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 am

Hello dbarnes69,

If you are using Flexible Netflow or IPFIX you have the ability to send interface information in an option template. This all depends on the type of router and what it supports but that is you best(easiest) option. The other way is to manualy log into the router and look at the interface index numbers. "Instance 1" is ifindex 1, "Instance 12" is ifindex 12 and so on.

Thank you
Ryan

dbarnes69

Re: Interface/Instance names

Post by dbarnes69 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. That sent me on the right track. I logged onto the router, and did a 'show snmp mib ifmib ifindex'. That gave me the info I need. Thanks for the push in the right direction!

I also had already done the 'ip flow-export interface-name', not sure if I missed a step to get the interface names. Also using ip flow-export version 9