Is it possible to define IPFIX Sampling rate on Scrutinizer?

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

softcomp

Is it possible to define IPFIX Sampling rate on Scrutinizer?

Post by softcomp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi,

I am on a trial with Scrutinizer for the company I work. Everything is going ok, except that when I set the sampling on our edge router from 1 to 100, the interface traffic on scrutinizer and all other reports reduces exactly 1/100. For instance, the interface traffic is 500Mbits , with sample rate 1 the scrutinizer shows the correct value, but when I set to 100 , the interface traffic and all other reports goes down to 5mbits..

Is there any options on Scrutinizer that I can set the sample rate, for auto correction?

Router configuration below

gustavo@BRD01# show
instance {
sample-ins1 {
input {
rate 100;
}
family inet {
output {
flow-server x.x.x.x {
port 2055;
no-local-dump;
version-ipfix {
template {
ipv4;
}
}
}
inline-jflow {
source-address x.x.x.x;
}
}
}
}
}

maciejw

Re: Is it possible to define IPFIX Sampling rate on Scrutinizer?

Post by maciejw » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 am

Hi softcomp,

In order to display the utilization correctly, please add a filter to your report called "Sample Multiplier" and specify the sample rate, in your case 100.

In our future release, you'll be able to specify the sampling rate per device/interface, negating the filter per report.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: v16.1 applies the sample rate (passed in the flow record) automatically!
- Maciej