How to install VMtools on Netflow CentOS 6.6 VM

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

ssandven

How to install VMtools on Netflow CentOS 6.6 VM

Post by ssandven » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Does anyone have instructions on how to install VMware VMtools on a netflow VM virtual appliance?

Jarrydb

Re: How to install VMtools on Netflow CentOS 6.6 VM

Post by Jarrydb » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:08 am

Hi ssandven,

Are these the instructions you were looking for?

Installing VMware Tools for ESXi
After you have powered on and gone through the initial Scrutinizer configuration, optionally, you can install VMware Tools on the appliance. VMware Tools doesn’t come installed by default because each version of ESX installs a different VMware Tools package. Instead, there’s a script located on the appliance to install VMware Tools for you by following the procedure below:

1) In vSphere, right click on the Scrutinizer virtual machine and go to Guest -> Install/Upgrade VMware Tools

2) On the console of the Scrutinizer Virtual Appliance, run “/root/vmwareToolsInstall.sh”

NOTE: Installing VMware Tools will allow you to properly shutdown the Scrutinizer virtual machine from within vSphere by going to Power -> Shut Down Guest.
When shutting down the Scrutinizer virtual machine DO NOT select Power -> Power Off as it will result in database corruption. Powering off a virtual machine is equivalent to unplugging a physical computer.

ssandven

Re: How to install VMtools on Netflow CentOS 6.6 VM

Post by ssandven » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:57 pm

I haven't had the chance to apply this yet because of business bureaucracy :!: , but I sincerely appreciate the response. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!