Moving existing install to a new server

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

filobeddo

Moving existing install to a new server

Post by filobeddo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:54 am

Hi.

I could find one old item with a response for this via searching the forum but I thought it was worth making a fresh post rather than commenting on that one.

Our current windows-install of Scrutinizer (v16.3) sits on a Win2008 server. I have just received this years plixer support/maintenance email which states I need to generate a new license. Seems like the perfect time to do a piece of work we wanted to do which is to create a new 2012 server and move our Scrutinizer install to it.

Could you (plixer guys) please post a response to this post which details the procedure for moving, in particular should I hold of on generating my new license key and do that on the new server ?

Many thanks.

maciejw

Re: Moving existing install to a new server

Post by maciejw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi filobeddo,

Great idea! Here's the procedure:

Go ahead and send in your NEW MachineID, so we may generate a new license.
The new server can be in eval mode.

The old and new Scrutinizers need to be on the exact same version!

1. Shutdown all the plixer_* services on both servers.
2. Replace new server [home]\Scrutinizer\mysql\data folder and subfolders with the old server [home]\Scrutinizer\mysql\data folder and subfolders.
3. Start plixer_mysql service (If the new server has a different IP address > admin cmd: [home]\Scrutinizer\cgi-bin\reporting.cgi --selfregister -reset).
4. Start the other plixer_* services (syslogd, apache and flow_collector).
5. Apply your new license.
6. Enjoy.

Alternatively, contact Support, we have a migration utility for your database and settings.
- Maciej