Best way to segregate IPv4 from IPv6 traffic in Scrut reports?

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

fossicker

Best way to segregate IPv4 from IPv6 traffic in Scrut reports?

Post by fossicker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 am

I have a homemade nprobe running Debian Jessie x86, it's an old 32-bit (previously snort) appliance with one 100Mb management interface and six Intel GbE interfaces. Because it's only a 32-bit CPU, and because Luca Deri no longer supports nprobe on x86, I compiled nprobe and nDPI from scratch using old sources I found on github from 2011. It's a fully functional nprobe but with no licensed addons. Right now I have nprobe watching eth0 which is jacked into a switch span port of my LAN uplink.

Is there a way that I can run two nprobes, one to export IPv4 and another to export IPv6, showing up as separate instances in Scrutinizer? Or would you recommend running a basic nprobe -V 9, and then use Scrutinizer reporting to segregate IPv4 from IPv6?

What's the difference between an Interface and an Instance in Scrutinizer?

I am working from https://www.plixer.com/blog/scrutinizer ... templates/

When I run a basic nprobe:
./nprobe -a -n 192.168.1.52:2055 -i eth0 -t 60 -d 15 -V 9 -G
I get Interface 0 in Scrutinizer and IPv4 and IPv6 traffic appears together in Reports.

Here's another nprobe I've been playing with, this seems to give me Instance 1 and Instance 2. What is the difference between an Instance and an Interface? Instance 0 seems to give me only IPv4, while Instance 2 gives me both IPv4 and IPv6.

nprobe -E "0:1" -f "!tcp" -a -n 192.168.1.52:2055 -i eth0 -u 1 -Q 2 -t 60 -d 15 -1 "192.168.1.0/24@1,0.0.0.0/0@2" -V 10 -T "%IPV4_SRC_ADDR %IPV4_DST_ADDR %IPV4_NEXT_HOP %INPUT_SNMP %OUTPUT_SNMP %IN_PKTS %L4_DST_PORT %L4_SRC_PORT %IN_BYTES %FLOW_START_MILLISECONDS %FLOW_END_MILLISECONDS %PROTOCOL %IPV4_SRC_MASK %IPV4_DST_MASK %IN_SRC_MAC %OUT_DST_MAC" -G
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (17.57 KiB) Viewed 3446 times