How are report titles generated?

Denika Performance Trender™ is a 100% web configurable view into the performance of your IT and IS resources. Denika answers: How much of the resource (network bandwidth, CPU, hard drive, etc.) is being consumed? What is the Up-Time of an important application, server and or network device? What is the Response-Time of an important application, server and or network device?

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

lordflasheart

How are report titles generated?

Post by lordflasheart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am

Hi,

First of all I must congratulate you on a great product and I have found it to be a wonderful way of monitoring QoS on my devices.

However, I want to know how the report names are generated. For example, I have multiple policy-maps configured on a router yet for the time being I have only applied one to interface Gi0/0.199. Each policy-map is a simple bandwidth policer with only the class-default class.

When I go to view my report the title is:

vpnrtr1-sou.mynetwork.com: cbQoS Bytes Pre/Post noSuchInstance on class-default

What is this noSuchInstance? Should it be the interface name?

I know I can change the report name manually but this is simply not scalable when I have a device with multiple policy-maps applied to interfaces as I won't know which on is which.

Ideally I would like to see:

vpnrtr1-sou.mynetwork.com: cbQoS Bytes Pre/Post Gi0/0.199 on class-default

Thanks in advance

scottr

Re: How are report titles generated?

Post by scottr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 am

Hello,

You would need to look at the mrtg report template in this cbqos report to see what instance it is trying to pull in.

If you would like, give the support line a call, or send me a note. We can help you with this.

Thanks,
Scott
scottr@plixer.com

lordflasheart

Post by lordflasheart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am

For the Pre/Post Bytes report the following targets are pulled in:

Both have 128.9396257 at the end

I don't see how these are related to the interface on which the QoS policy is applied.

Thanks

lordflasheart

Post by lordflasheart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:26 am

On top of this I cannot see how MRTG config generates the report title. I have looked at the templates and there is nothing that alludes to the report name given in the software.

If you look at the Online Manual and check the Edit Report section you will see a screenshot of a report. The second line down shows Report Name followed by a free text field which has some automatically generated description in there. It is that field where I expect to see which interface my QoS policy is applied to.

Thanks

RaulD

Post by RaulD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Lordflasheart,

First thanks for using our product.

The instances in the MRTG template are then cross referenced with other OIDs to generate the final report that should give you the final report title which should look something like:

FNF.plixer.com: cbQoS Bytes Pre/Post on class-default
or..
FNF.plixer.com: cbQoS Bytes Pre/Post on WebEmail

The report title is actually generated by the application, then plugged into the MRTG configuration.

The examples above came from our own Denika where it's working properly, but interface names of those belonging to the classmap are not automatically generated by the app to be put into report names. You would only see classmap names.

There is one resource I'd like to point you towards. The information in the blog below matches how we set it up in our environment. Could you check it out to see if there are any differences and then try to rediscover?

http://www.plixer.com/blog/denika/using ... r-network/

Like Scott said, please don't hesitate to contact us directly if you still have issues.

Thanks,
Raul

lordflasheart

Post by lordflasheart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:13 am

Hi and thanks for your reply. I have done as suggested but still get the same noSuchInstance in the report name.

In reference to how things are named how does the program distinguish between two policy-maps on the same device?

Let's show you two of my policy-maps:

policy-map 10Mbps
class class-default
police 10000000 exceed-action drop

policy-map 15Mbps
class class-default
police 15000000 exceed-action drop

How would I know within Denika which class-default it is displaying?

In addition, if I was to apply 10Mbps to two interfaces how do I know which interface is displayed?

Thanks

tomp
Site Admin

Post by tomp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:51 am

Hey there! While visiting a customer just last week I discovered a bug with the same class maps used in different policy maps applied to different interfaces.

There is an open bug ticket with our Development team concerning the matter, "Bug 2316 - cbQos - Needs to have Service Policy Name included in report name"

If you want to email your contact information I will add you to the ticket and you will be notified and most likely contacted to verify the fix before release.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this bug causes and thank you for your patience during resolution.

Feel free to email me directly at tomp@plixer.com!

- Tom