Changing the regular polling interval

Denika Performance Trender™ is a 100% web configurable view into the performance of your IT and IS resources. Denika answers: How much of the resource (network bandwidth, CPU, hard drive, etc.) is being consumed? What is the Up-Time of an important application, server and or network device? What is the Response-Time of an important application, server and or network device?

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

nritter6281

Changing the regular polling interval

Post by nritter6281 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 am

I just started using Denika v7. Is there a way to change (either per report/graph or per host, or even globally) the polling interval so that data can be polled and graphed per minute, or per every 2 minutes?

I know the real-time graphing does as it says, but I would like to be able to do longer term archiving of what I am polling.

Also, is there a template archive somewhere for adding reports, etc. to Denika?

jghidoni
Site Admin

Re: Changing the regular polling interval

Post by jghidoni » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Changing the polling interval would not accomplish your desired result, as the data is stored in RRD (Round Robin Database) files, which stores data every 5 minutes.

To add new templates, you can use the Report Wizard, which is available either during the Single Device discovery process (at the bottom it will say Click Here if you do not see a report you want) or by going to Admin Tools->Templates->Report (Create New Template - Wizard).

The Report Wizard will walk you through the steps to create new report templates.

nritter6281

Post by nritter6281 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for the reply about the templates.

So Denika is hard coded for 5 minute polling? RRD supports polling at any interval so long as the RRD file storing the data is setup for the interval desired. It would make sense that the RRDs are 5 minutes if the Denika product polling interval is 5 minutes.

With the understanding that I would have to recreate all of my reports/graphs/rrds, can I change the polling interval, or is this not support? (which is unfortunate given that RRD itself can support it.) I used RRD with Cacti to do 1 minute polling, I was hoping to either be able to do that with Denika, or make a feature request for it.

jghidoni
Site Admin

Post by jghidoni » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi,

The polling interval in Denika is not hard-coded to 5 minutes. It is scheduled in CRON to run every 5 minutes. The poller can be run (either manually or scheduled) more frequently than 5 minutes, but since the RRD files are configured to update every 5 minutes, the excess polls will not be logged to the RRD files.

Denika is built around a polling cycle of 5 minutes, and many of the report templates included in Denika are based on 300 seconds also. So if the polling cycle changed, there would be reports that would report inaccurate data as a result of that change.

I spoke with the lead developer on this, and there are no plans to change the polling frequency.

Another consideration in increasing the polling frequency would be the time to complete the polling cycle. Many sites just barely complete polling all of their reports in the 5 minute timeframe. If the polling interval were reduced, their polls would never complete in time.