Sflow settings recommendations wanted

Scrutinizer is an enterprise/business class NetFlow and sFlow analysis tool. Scrutinizer provides historical trends of the company's critical network interfaces as well as the details on:

Who: The end system causing the traffic
What: The application/protocol that is being used
When: The time frame it has been occurring for
Where: The network connection that is affected

Moderators: scottr, Moderator Team

gardned1

Sflow settings recommendations wanted

Post by gardned1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am

I have an Alcatel network with about 70 switches so need to use sflow as opposed to netflow.
What are Scrutinizer’s best practice settings for sflow on my switches.
I have seen everything from a sampling rate of 1 to 2048 and polling intervals from 5 seconds to 30 seconds used but no actual recommendations for a Scrutinizer setup. Obviously I want accurate data but I don’t want unnecessary traffic on the network if it’s not going to make much difference.

Adam_Howarth

Re: Sflow settings recommendations wanted

Post by Adam_Howarth » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Hello Gardned1,

If you would like to email me at adam.howarth[at]plixer.com with specific model information I can provide you with a recommendation.

Typically the parameters of sflow are configured in a way that captures the most sampling data, without incurring too much overhead on the switch.

Thank you,
Adam

EliNor

Post by EliNor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Adam, is there no way of listing the recommended settings somewhere on the forums? Or are they too specific and should be done on a case by case basis?

Adam_Howarth

Post by Adam_Howarth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Unfortunately Flow Configurations vary wildly by model and vendor, the closest thing to a recommended settings we have is our Flow configuration library

https://www.plixer.com/support/netflow-ipfix-sflow-configuration-guide/

thank you,